Cristian Romero sends message after Atletico Madrid admission and Tottenham future doubt

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image

Cristian Romero has issued a message after helping Argentina to the World Cup in 2026. The Tottenham defender has been a key performer for Lionel Scaloni's side over the last couple of years and started both of their matches during the March international break.

First, Argentina beat Uruguay 1-0 in a tense encounter last Friday. They were on the brink of securing qualification for the next World Cup from that point on, and Argentina's destiny was confirmed after Uruguay were held to a goalless draw against Bolivia.

Although Argentina had already qualified for the World Cup, they were still able to put on a dominant performance to thrash arch rivals Brazil on Tuesday. Goals from Julian Alvarez, Enzo Fernandez, Alexis Mac Allister and Giuliano Simeone earned Argentina a fine 4-1 win.

However, after Alvarez and Fernandez put Argentina 2-0 ahead, Spurs ace Romero had a moment to forget. He gave the ball away to Wolves forward Matheus Cunha, who pounced on the mistake to fire the ball into the bottom corner and give Brazil a lifeline.

But Argentina restored their two-lead through Liverpool's Mac Allister, before Simeone put gloss on the scoreline with a fourth in the second half. And after the game, Romero reflected on his side's thumping win and thanked the Argentine fans for their support.

Speaking on X, formerly known as Twitter, Romero said: "With humility and the desire to continue taking our team to the top always. Objective achieved and great triumph Thank you all for your continued love, see you soon [Argentina flag emoji] @Argentina."

Argentina's win over Brazil came a matter of hours after it was reported that Atletico Madrid were targeting a summer move for Romero. The 26-year-old is approaching the final two years of his contract and Atletico, who are looking to strengthen their defence, have been tracking his progress closely.

Romero has played just three Premier League matches for Tottenham since November due to a number of separate issues. Early into his first injury comeback which was against Chelsea in late 2024, Romero picked up a groin issue and despite returning to training in February, was nowhere to be seen for several weeks.

In that spell out of the team, Romero brutally called out the club's ownership, including Daniel Levy for not backing Ange Postecoglou in the transfer market.

"Manchester City competes every year, you see how Liverpool strengthens its squad, Chelsea strengthens their squad, doesn't do well, so strengthens again, and now they're seeing results. Those are the things to imitate," he told Spanish broadcaster Telemundo Deportes on live TV.

"You have to realise that something is going wrong, hopefully, they [the board] realise it. The last few years, it's always the same; first the players, then the coaching staff changes, and it's always the same people responsible.

"Hopefully they realise who the true responsible ones are and we can move forward, because it's a beautiful club that, with the structure it has, could easily be competing for the title every year."