Bayern Munich forward Mathys Tel is waiting to see if Manchester United’s interest is concrete before making a decision on his future.
Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have all made enquiries about the 19-year-old, with Spurs furthest along in their talks. But The i Paper has been told Tel would prefer a move to Old Trafford.
Bayern sporting director Max Eberl confirmed he has already fielded calls from a host of clubs, with Tel emerging as the most wanted man in Europe in the final week of the January transfer window.
It is not clear whether Bayern will sanction a loan move, but should they do so, United are understood to be considering entering the market at the 11th hour.
The club’s focus remains on outgoings, with Casemiro, Alejandro Garnacho and Marcus Rashford all potentially leaving in the coming days, but Ruben Amorim could be in the market for another striker, alongside the signing of left-back Patrick Dorgu from Lecce.
Dorgu’s capture, for around £30m, is set to go through in the next few days, with the 20-year-old flying to Manchester to complete a medical later on Thursday or Friday morning.
With United already running close to falling foul of the Premier League’s Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSR), any move for Tel would have to be carefully negotiated.
The opportunity for more first-team action at Old Trafford, over Arsenal and Chelsea especially, is said to be the main reason behind Tel’s patience. Rasmus Hojlund and Joshua Zirkzee – United’s only central strike options – have scored five league goals between them all season. Amorim is said to be far from impressed with his squad’s lack of firepower.
United do not have the funds to move for their main transfer target now, Sporting Lisbon’s Viktor Gyokeres, but they are set to return to that option in the summer, when the Swede will be available at a reduced price.
A departure of a big earner would certainly give any late swoop for Tel the green light. Rashford revealed his wishes to seek a new challenge last month, with a host of clubs across Europe all expressing an interest.
Covering even a portion of the 27-year-old’s wages of over £300,000-a-week have put off almost all interested parties, with it more likely than ever, despite the forward remaining very much in exile and out of Amorim’s plans, that Rashford stays put.
Sources have told The i Paper, however, that Rashford has not given up on working his way back into Amorim’s plans.
There is a feeling the situation can be rectified, even if Amorim and Rashford are not on the best terms, given he has not been completely jettisoned from first-team training like Jadon Sancho was under Erik ten Hag.
Garnacho has been the subject of major interest from Chelsea and Napoli during this window.
The Serie A league leaders, who have money to spend after winger Khvicha Kvaratskhelia joined Paris Saint-Germain, have already seen a bid of around £40m rejected, with United aiming for offers over £50m before they are even entertained.