Lord Sugar issues scathing response to Sol Campbell after former Spurs star revealed why he left Tottenham for Arsenal

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image

Lord Sugar hit back at Sol Campbell claiming that he is 'disappointed with him'

It comes after the ex-player accused the Spurs board of trying to exploit him

LISTEN NOW: It's All Kicking Off! Is England's squad good enough to win the World Cup?

Lord Alan Sugar has hit back at Sol Campbell after the former Spurs star finally revealed why he left Tottenham for Arsenal back in the summer of 2001.

The former centre back made the headlines on Thursday when he disclosed that the Whites had tried to involve him in a police investigation of a fight that had happened at Derby Country.

The incident happened four years before his contract was set to run out, as Campbell thinks that the club's board wanted him to be framed for assaulting a steward in order to curb his appetite ahead of their negotiations.

However, Tottenham then-owner Lord Sugar was quick to take on social media in order to provide a response to the former player's allegations.

'I was under the impression that there was good mutual reactionship with Sol Campbell,' he wrote on X (formerly Twitter).

'The stuff printed in the sun quoting him about his departure from Spurs is total rubbish. I am disapointed with him. Shame on you Sol!'

Although Campbell remained Spurs' number one enemy for more than two decades, the incident sparked further this week when he appeared on the Stick to Football podcast, brought to you by Sky Bet.

After the Englishman revealed that the 15-month investigation did not find him guilty, he was quizzed whether Tottenham chiefs knew the steward had suffered his injury before the game.

'Either the hierarchy did or the lawyers,' he said. 'It was trying to get one over me, so if it came out, I’d sign a crap deal. I think it was all about the deal.

'They wanted to get one over me or have leverage over me. It’s like Virgil van Dijk going through his contract situation now, trying to pin something on him now – it’s the same thing.

'Once that happened [the legal incident], I didn’t have time for that [signing a new contract] – they literally tried to put me away for no reason.

'You start thinking to yourself about how people are innocent and get put away for something they hadn’t done.

'For me, going around to banks or wherever, people look at me and think I’ve bust someone’s wrist, but it was someone else, a South American player.

'It’s sad, it’s unbelievable. You’re a young boy, coming out, and they’re trying to pin that on you.

'For me, the episode of trying to frame me for no reason, that really governed my decision, and I wanted to win.'

Earlier, Campbell called for Tottenham fans to move on from his controversial transfer to their rivals, admitting the abuse still has an impact on him more than 20 years on.

His move is still considered one of the most shocking in football's history, with the then 26-year-old defender receiving interest from across Europe and making the switch to Highbury.

Arsenal had kept the deal under wraps, with the reporters present at his unveiling having expected to see goalkeeper Richard Wright announced from Everton before Campbell emerged for the press conference.

Campbell said he had been subjected to an 'inferno of hatred' on his first return to White Hart Lane as an Arsenal player in 2001.

He played over 200 games for the club across two spells, either side of a move to Portsmouth.

Following a match against Tottenham in 2008 when Campbell was playing for Portsmouth, charges were made against 11 Spurs supporters for 'indecent chants' made to the defender.

Source