Press Conference: Ange speaks to the media ahead of London derby at Chelsea

Press Conference: Ange speaks to the media ahead of London derby at Chelsea
Press Conference: Ange speaks to the media ahead of London derby at Chelsea
Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca has confirmed that forwards Noni Madueke, Cole Palmer and Nicolas Jackson have all returned from training and a ready to play against us on Thursday.
The forward trio have all missed have all been sidelined in the past few weeks with hamstring injuries but, on Wednesday morning, Maresca reported that all three are back in training and should be available for selection when we make the trip to Stamford Bridge on Thursday night (kick-off 8pm UK).
While Madueke and Jackon have been sidelined since early February, Palmer has missed just one game for the Blues - a 1-0 defeat to Arsenal - before the west London side had a three-week break from action due to the March international break and the FA Cup quarter-finals.
"Cole (Palmer) is back," Maresca said in his pre-match press conference. "He's better and he's okay to play.
"Otherwise, with the team, yes, Noni (Madueke) is better and also Nico is better, They are all good.
"It's good to get players back (for the run-in) and we've said many times, when they are not there for different reasons, then you can struggle.
"It's exactly what happened to us this season - we had six unbelievable months and then six or seven injuries in a row. Now it is very good for us to finish (the season) with all of them."
Our team news updates
Ange Postecoglou had plenty of positives from March’s international break as attention now turns to Chelsea and a busy April.
Seventeen players from our first team squad departed for duty after our last Premier League match at Fulham on 16 March, and Ange was happy to report a clean bill of health on their return.
That included the all clear for midfielder Lucas Bergvall, who was selected for Sweden’s friendlies against Luxembourg and Northern Ireland, but didn’t feature in either due to illness.
Speaking to Inside Spurs on Wednesday morning, Ange told us: “Lucas is fine. He had a bit of an illness, picked up a bug, but he got back at the weekend and got straight back into training."
“It was a good international break for us,” he continued. “Firstly, obviously no-one picked up anything, which is important, but also some guys got some game time which we felt was going to be important, guys like (Cristian) Romero, Destiny (Udogie), Matty Tel, Wilson (Odobert) and all these guys who missed a lot of football recently all got some good game time. The ones who played all did relatively well, they're all back and we’ve had a strong training group in the last couple of days.”
Ange Postecoglou reports that Richarlison is back in full training and it’s now just a matter of timing his return to action.
The Brazil striker has been sidelined since pulling up with a calf muscle injury in our Carabao Cup semi-final, second leg against Liverpool at Anfield on 6 February.
He’s missed eight games so far on the road to recovery, but there was good news from Ange on Wednesday morning as preparations continue for our return to Premier League action with a huge clash against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Thursday evening (8pm UK).
Speaking on Inside Spurs, Ange told us: “Richy’s training with the group, again, it's about when we reintroduce him to the matchday squad, but he's training with the main training group, which is positive.”
There was further good news for Richy this morning when we announced that he’d been recognised on this year’s Football Black List alongside Foundation Head of Programmes, Tara Tewarie and project coordinator, André Thomas.
Ange Postecoglou has positive news on Kevin Danso and Dejan Kulusevski as we prepare for a busy April.
Speaking to Inside Spurs on Wednesday morning, Ange reported that the pair are ‘progressing well’ - Deki last featured against Manchester City on 26 February after picking up a foot injury, while Kevin sustained a hamstring injury in our 2-2 draw against AFC Bournemouth on 9 March.
Ange told us: “Kevin and Deki are working hard still, they’re probably a couple of weeks away, but both are progressing well.”
After March's international break, we return to Premier League action against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Thursday night (8pm UK). That's the first of a run of seven games in 24 days, including our UEFA Europa League quarter-final against Eintracht Frankfurt (first leg, away - 10 April; 2nd leg, home - 17 April) and away matches at Chelsea, Wolves and Liverpool.
More team news on the way...
We are delighted to announce that Callum Olusesi has signed a new contract with the Club, which will run until 2029.
The 18-year-old central midfielder has risen through our Academy system and made his first team debut in our 3-2 victory against TSG Hoffenheim in the Europa League in January of this year.
An England Under-18 international, Callum was part of our young side that won the Under-17 and Under-18 Premier League Cup double in 2022/23 before making his Under-21s debut towards the end of our Premier League 2 title-winning campaign last year.
Still technically eligible for the Under-18s, he began the current season with the Under-21s on a full-time basis and swiftly took over the captain’s armband, scoring his first goal at that level against Southampton in August.
He has netted four times in nine Premier League 2 appearances so far this term.
On the senior stage, he has been named in our first team squad on 21 occasions to date.
The Club is proud to reveal that Richarlison, alongside Tottenham Hotspur Foundation head of programmes Tara Tewarie and project coordinator André Thomas, have been recognised on this year’s Football Black List.
The initiative, founded in 2008 by sports journalists Leon Mann MBE and Rodney Hinds, shines a light on leaders of African and Caribbean heritage working and volunteering across all areas of the game.
A panel of experts from the football industry and Black community vote independently on nominations made by the public to determine who makes the list.
The panel included representation from the Premier League, Football Association, EFL, League Managers Association, Professional Footballers’ Association, PGMOL, Kick It Out, FARE, BCOMS and Black community leaders.
Individuals are on the list for their contributions in one of eight areas, with Richarlison recognised for his off the pitch work, André in the practitioner category and Tara for her services to community and grassroots programmes.
Richarlison has spoken out on various social issues and given back to communities in Brazil through support for good causes assisting families, cancer patients and others.
André joined the Foundation in 2022 and leads its Huddle Project and Spurred 2 Coach programmes, the former providing increased access to free sporting activity for local youngsters and the latter giving young adults without qualifications the opportunity to become a football coach.
Tara recently celebrated 10 years of supporting our local communities through the Foundation. She currently oversees its delivery of a wide range of programmes designed to improve health and wellbeing, as well as drive employment.
Ex-Spurs Women defender Renée Hector, who was a Foundation programme coordinator for seven years before taking up the role of Watford Women head coach last summer, is also on the list for her coaching and management exploits.
The Football Black List celebration event, where all those on the list will receive awards, is on 24 April.
Appearing first and exclusively in this season’s official matchday programme, we get to know our Women Under-21s players.
Taking on the Q&A this time is Zara Bailey who joined the Club's Academy in the summer from Oxford United, where she also trained with the first team on numerous occasions.
Having also represented England Under-17s in recent months, the young defender made her senior debut for the Club in December, coming on as a second half substitute in our 2-0 win over Crystal Palace in the Women's League Cup.
We sat down with Zara to find out a little more about her…
First started training with Spurs?
“I joined the Club last summer, around July time, after signing from Oxford United, where I trained with the first team on numerous occasions.”
Favourite food?
“I would have to go with steak and chips.”
Any pets?
“I actually have five dogs and they’re called Beaux, Trio, Mack, Dubs and Ronnie.”
Favourite memory as a football fan?
“It would have to be making my senior debut for Spurs against Crystal Palace back in December in the Women's League Cup, it was such a special moment for my family and I.”
Any hidden talents?
“I don’t have any standout hidden talents, but I can dance and play racquetball.”
Who do you like to watch in the first team and why?
“Bethany England because of who she is, you can learn so much from her. Molly Bartrip also helped me massively when I first started to train with the first team, so I would also choose her.”
Who was your footballing idol when growing up?
“This is an easy one – Cristiano Ronaldo. In the Women’s game, I would choose Lauren Hemp.”
If you couldn’t be a footballer, what would you like to be instead?
“I would want to stay around football, so something like coaching.”
How would you sum up your character?
“Definitely funny! I might be quiet when you first talk to me but, once I get comfortable, I come out of my shell.”
How would you describe your playing style?
“I would say quick, good at crossing and strong in one-v-one defending but also in attacking scenarios.”
Find out more about our Academy players below
The Premier League has confirmed semi-automated offside technology will be introduced to the competition in matchweek 32.
Last April, Premier League clubs voted for the implementation of the technology and it is now set to be brought into the competition in the next few weeks.
A system which will provide a more efficient placement of the virtual offside line when determining offside decisions, while it there to assist match officials, it should also improve the experience of supporters, both at the game and those watching on at home.
Already having been used at the most recent Men's and Women's FIFA World Cups and in the UEFA Champions League, the system has been tested in a non-live capacity in the Premier League and in the FA Cup this season.
Now, it has been passed for use in the Premier League with our trip to Wolves on Sunday 13 April the first time we will see it in action.
If you’re making the trip to Stamford Bridge for our Premier League fixture against Chelsea on Thursday evening, please be aware of the following information…
Chelsea’s guide for visiting supporters can be found here. A reminder that we kick-off at 8pm, with gates opening at 6.30pm.
Supporters are asked to take particular note of our information regarding the unauthorised use of tickets which can be found below.
Getting to Stamford Bridge
The nearest tube station is Fulham Broadway on the District Line, which is a few minutes’ walk from Stamford Bridge. There are no scheduled engineering works affecting the station for this match.
Supporters are advised to plan their journey in advance using TfL’s Journey Planner to ensure arrival in plenty of time and to allow for stadium entry checks.
The recommended entrance to the site for visiting supporters is via Stamford Gate (please see map below) which is nearest to the visiting supporters turnstiles.
Safe standing
The visitors’ section at Stamford Bridge is licensed for safe standing and features independent barriers in front of each seat, allowing for free-flowing lateral movement in and out of seating rows.
Supporters are asked not to stand on the rails or seats and, unless moving to use facilities, to remain in their designated space and avoid standing in gangways or on steps. Supporters are also asked to be respectful toward staff, stewards and other fans at all times.
Supporters who specified a preference to sit during the match have been allocated seats in the front rows of the upper and lower tiers of the visitors’ section.
Accessibility
Chelsea’s accessibility guide can be found here…
Access Stewards, identifiable by their purple bibs, will be present at every accessible entrance and in accessible viewing areas. Tottenham Hotspur Access Stewards will also be on hand should any support be required.
Accessible toilets are available in the visitors’ section and supporters without their own RADAR key will be able to request one from a steward.
Audio descriptive commentary (ADC) headsets will be delivered to seats by Tottenham Hotspur staff for those who use the service. Should you wish to listen to the ADC and have not booked in advance, please ask a Tottenham Hotspur steward who will be able to assist.
Visiting supporters’ pubs
The nearest visiting supporters’ pubs are to the north-east of Stamford Bridge at Earl’s Court and are a 25 to 30-minute walk (1.4 miles) from the stadium...
Earl’s Court Tavern - 123 Earl’s Court Road, Kensington, London SW5 9RL
Prince of Teck -161 Earl’s Court Road, Kensington, London SW5 9RQ
The Courtfield Tavern - 187 Court Road, Kensington, London SW5 9AN
Refreshments
Supporters are encouraged to arrive early to Stamford Bridge to make the most of the ‘early-bird’ offers available at all general admission kiosks and bars for up to 30 minutes after stadium gates open. As part of the early-bird offer, soft/hot drinks will be available for £1.95 and a range of alcoholic beverages for £3.95. Pies and hot dogs will also be available for £3.95.
Cashless payments
Stamford Bridge is a cashless stadium. All major debit and credit cards are accepted as well as Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Matchday programme
Matchday programmes are priced at £4.00 and can be purchased from many vendors around the stadium.
Bag Policy
Supporters are strongly encouraged to avoid bringing a bag to the stadium where possible. Bags larger than A4 size will not be permitted inside the stadium (approx. 30x20x10 cm) and no bag drop facilities are available.
Supporters who require a larger bag for medical reasons can apply for a baggage exemption by completing this form no later than 24 hours before the game.
Flags and banners
There is only a limited amount of space to display banners and flags within the stadium and they must therefore be no larger than 80cm in depth and 250cm in width.
Banners and flags must not obstruct the view of others, cover advertising signs or cause a safety hazard. Banners and flags must not display any abusive or threatening words, images, political statements or be deemed unacceptable. Flag poles are not allowed. All banners and flags must carry a Fire Safety Certificate.
Supporters are reminded that the Club’s own Flags and Banners Policy is also in operation at away matches.
Prohibited items
Persons in possession of any of the items listed below will be refused entry into the ground:
Bags larger than A4, baby buggies/prams, video recording equipment, drinking glasses, glass bottles, plastic bottles larger than 500ml, darts/knives/weapons, fireworks/flares, gas/smoke cannisters, non-folding umbrellas, tools, flag poles/sticks, air horns/musical instruments, selfie sticks, large lens cameras, canned drinks, rattles.
Supporters are also reminded smoking (including the use of e-cigarettes and vapes) is not permitted anywhere inside the stadium.
Spurs respects
We are proud of our superb and loyal support at home and away.
We recognise that most supporters want to watch a football match and not listen to abusive or indecent language from the stands. Discriminatory or violent behaviour, including racist, homophobic, sexist or anti-disability shouting, chanting or actions, is unacceptable.
The Club reserves the right to indefinitely ban supporters found guilty of using discriminatory language or violent behaviour.
Homophobic chanting - 'Rent Boy' chant
We should like to remind supporters that the Crown Prosecution Service states that the term 'rent boy' is a homophobic slur and a hate crime. The CPS will take criminal action against supporters using the term, which could also result in the Football Association sanctioning the Club.
We urge any supporter who has used this chant in the past to read Proud Lilywhites' statement on retiring the chant and their Co-Chair's personal statement on the impact it has had on his experience of supporting the Club.
Reporting anti-social behaviour
To report any anti-social or discriminatory behaviour while at Stamford Bridge, supporters can text details of the offender and the incident to 88777 with Stand, Block, Row and Seat details.
After the match incidents can be reported by calling 020 7386 3355 or emailing reporthate@chelseafc.com and supporterservices@tottenhamhotspur.com
Ticket Office
Supporters collecting duplicate tickets at the stadium can do so from the Ticket Office, which is located in the Shed End. Duplicate tickets must be requested by emailing ticket.office@tottenhamhotspur.com and will only be provided on production of valid photo ID.
Unauthorised use of tickets
Supporters are reminded that the unauthorised reselling or passing on of tickets is strictly prohibited. In line with the Club's Sanctions & Banning Policy, supporters selling away match tickets above face value will receive an indefinite ban and deduction of all Ticketing Points. Supporters passing on away match tickets equal to face value or less will receive a written warning and a 50 per cent reduction of Ticketing Points.
Supporters unable to attend
Supporters unable to attend the match should contact the Ticket Office as soon as possible. The Club shall make best endeavours to reallocate tickets to other eligible supporters and issue refunds upon receipt of original tickets.