Days after it was confirmed that Tottenham Hotspur will be playing a North London derby in Hong Kong during pre-season, it has now been revealed that the club are in talks over playing a friendly against another Premier League team in Asia this summer.
Over the past month, plenty of rumours have been doing the rounds on Tottenham’s pre-season plans to tour Asia, but nothing official was forthcoming from the club.
That finally changed earlier this week as Spurs confirmed that they will be playing Arsenal in Hongkong this summer, which will be the first North London derby played outside UK soil.
The fixture is scheduled for Thursday, 31 July 2025 at the newly opened 50,000-seater Kai Tak Stadium, and it has now emerged that Spurs might also play another English side during their tour to Asia.
Tottenham in talks to face Premier League club in Seoul
The Daily Mail have now revealed that Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United are currently in talks over playing a pre-season friendly in Korea.
Spurs have travelled to Korea for pre-season twice in the last three years, and if this update is to be believed, they are set to do so again this summer.
The report says that it is now a ‘strong possibility’ that the Magpies and the Lilywhites will take on one another in Seoul.
MORE SPURS STORIES
Newcastle are currently said to be holding discussions to play two games in the country: one against Tottenham and the other against the K-League All-Star side, but final confirmation is still awaited on these fixtures.
Could Hueng-min Son’s future at Tottenham impact their pre-season plans?
There is no hiding from the fact that it is the commercial benefits that are attracting Tottenham to South Korea, given Heung-min Son’s popularity in his home country.
However, the Spurs captain enters the final year of his contract this June and is not guaranteed to be at the club beyond this summer.
Some sources have said over recent weeks that Tottenham are open to cashing in on Son this summer if they receive a lucrative offer for the forward.